Thursday, June 14, 2012

Banana Bread

Today was baking day at the Strasburg house.  I had 7 bananas that had gotten REALLY ripe (okay completely brown), and I have been promising a guy in my church my Cinnamon Rolls since January.  So as I sit typing this, my cinnamon rolls are rising and I'm eating a slice of Banana Bread slathered in butter.  I just got asked for my Banana Bread recipe and I thought for sure I had put it on here, and I haven't.  Today is all of your lucky day because I am sharing my "Highland Famous" (Highland is where I live) Banana Bread.  :)  I think I have given a loaf to at least 1/2 of my ward.  It's kind of my go to treat when I want to bake something but don't have a lot of time.  I also always buy way too many bananas and so it's always available.  

Before I give you the recipe, just thought I would share that you should never throw your bananas away.  If they are getting old, but you're not ready to use them; throw them in the freezer and then you'll always have them available.  Plus, they won't ever go to waste!  You can freeze them for up to 3 months!  Okay, here's the recipe!

Ingredients
1 1/2 C. Flour
1 cube Butter (YES, it has to be butter!), melted
Dash of Salt
1 C. Sugar
1 tsp. Baking Soda
3 ripe Bananas, mashed
1 Egg, beaten

Directions
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Mash your 3 bananas.  In your mixer combine flour, salt, baking soda, and sugar.  Mix with your bananas until well combined.  Add in your egg, and mix again.  Then pour in your melted cube of butter. Mix well.
Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and lightly spray the parchment paper with nonstick cooking spray.
Bake for 1 hour and 5-15 minutes (just depends on your oven).


Tips: I always check my bread after 1 hour just to see how much longer it will need.  I stick a toothpick in the middle and then I normally cook it for 5 more minutes.  Then I turn on the broiler and let it crusty the top of the bread for just about a minute or less.  I take the bread out and place it on a cooling rack. You can serve it warm or cold but you HAVE to use Butter  :)  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment