Sunday, June 3, 2012

Crock Pot Shepherd's Pie

As I was digging through the pantry and freezer to see what I had to work with for dinner the other day I decided upon Shepherds Pie.  The only problem is that I didn't have time to make it, so the crock pot came to m ind.  I had so many errands that day, that I knew if I threw it all in there, that I would have a few minutes later to do the potatoes, so this recipe was born, and man am I happy about it!

Ingredients
1 lb. Mild Ground Sausage
1/2 lb. Ground Turkey Sausage (I just pulled the meat out of the casings)
4-5 whole carrots, peeled and diced
1 can beans or peas, drained
1 can corn, drained
6-8 small Yukon Gold Potatoes Whole
3 cubes Beef bouillon
1 1/2 cups water
1 handful of dried parsley, oregano, and basil
1/3 c. dried Onion
2 Tbs. seasoning salt
Pepper to taste
1 cube butter
1-2 cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese
a Few Tbs. Milk

Directions
Spray the bottom of the crock pot with cooking spray. Crumble up the meat in your hands and lay on the bottom (You can cook yours before, but I didn't have time so I didn't.) Spread your onions and herbs/seasonings over your meat.

Dump the vegetables on top of that, and then pour the water and the bouillon cubes in.  Set on low and let cook for 6 hours.

2 hours before it's done, poke holes in the potatoes with a fork, and then layer them on top of the meat dish in the juices.  Let them cook for about 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours.  You just want them soft enough to mash.  Take them out, cut into chunks, add a cube of butter and some milk and mash to your liking.

Then slowly suck up some of the juices (the oily juice on top of the meat) and discard. (Your just trying to remove some of the grease from the meat cooking in the crock pot and not beforehand.  If you cooked the meat before you can skip this step.)

Then layer your mashed potatoes on top and sprinkle with the cheddar cheese.  Put the lid back on and let the cheese melt.  Once the cheese has melted it's ready to serve!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment