Friday, June 3, 2011

Momma Cay's Rice Pudding

This is the rice pudding I grew up on.  I just happened to be at my Mom's the other day while she was making it, so I had her teach me and asked her if I could use the recipe on my blog.  So here you go everyone!  When all your friends and family die over how delicious this rice pudding is, you can thank Momma Cay!

 
Ingredients:

1 5 1/3 oz can evaporated milk
2 c whole milk
1/2 c sugar
1 tbsp corn starch
1/4 tsp salt

2 c cooked white rice
1/2 c raisins (optional)

2 eggs, beaten

1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:
Scald milks together in a medium to large saucepan.

In a small sauce pan dump raisins and cover with water.  Bring to a boil and turn them off and let them plump while you put the rest of the recipe together. 

Combine sugar, salt and cornstarch in medium mixing bowl. Add to milk mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick and smooth. Add rice and bring to boil.

Add about half the pudding mixture to the eggs, stirring while you pour.  (tempering the eggs) This is important so that your eggs don't curdle. Return egg mixture to saucepan and stir over medium heat until thickened.

Remove from heat. Drain your raisins.  Add vanilla and spices and raisins. Serve warm or cold. Chill to keep several days.


This makes an excellent breakfast, dessert, or snack.  I absolutely love this recipe.  The only thing I do a little differently is I add about 1/2 c. more COOKED rice to the finished product because I like mine a little thicker.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment