Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Spaghetti Carbonara with Peas

So I have been trying to use all of my fresh veggies out of my garden in my dinners lately, and this is no exception.  I love Italian/Pasta because it's so versatile and there is really nothing you can add to it to screw it up.  That is why I love creating pasta dishes because it's basically fail proof (as long as you cook the pasta correctly).
I love Carbonara because it is rich, creamy, and delicious.  Here is my newest Carbonara dish.

Pic by Caroline Wright
Ingredients
 1/2 pound pasta
4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch slices 
2 egg yolks 
2 tablespoons heavy cream 
1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated 
1/2 cup peas (fresh or thawed frozen) 
salt and pepper to taste
Directions
Cook the pasta as directed on the package, but make sure to add salt to your water before cooking.
Meanwhile cook the bacon in a pan until crispy and set it aside on paper towels to drain.
Mix the egg yolks, heavy cream and parmesan in a large bowl.  Drain the cooked pasta reserving some of the water.
Pic by Caroline Wright
Mix the pasta, peas and bacon into the egg mixture adding pasta water as needed and season with pepper to taste.  Serve garnished with grated parmesan.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Jill! This is one of my favorite meals to make. I add chicken, sometimes, too!

    Thank you for the comment and the follow. I'm following you back, now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks really delicious. we eat lots of spaghetti at our house, but something without a heavy sacus is always refreshing.

    thanks so much for stopping by [oomph.]

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great tip! I think chicken would be amazing in it! And I understand Oomph. This is a fun little twist on things :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by my blog Jill :) I'm your newest follower too! I love the addition to peas with this recipe. Carbonara is one of my faves!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by following you back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is also very good with ham rather than bacon, and add green peppers and mushrooms. YUM!

    ReplyDelete