Thursday, January 5, 2012

Homemade Alfredo out of a Jar

I was experimenting yesterday with foods that come in a jar.  I love Alfredo sauce, but if you don't make your own it's normally gross.  I think it's a great thing though for busy Mom's to save time by using jar spaghetti sauce sometimes, so I wanted to come up with a way to make it taste like homemade.  I found some Alfredo sauce in my pantry, and thought I'd test it out.  No joke, I put it on the counter and my husband said "Are you serious?  That's going to be disgusting."  Yes!  Exactly what I wanted to hear, and prove wrong.  So here is what I did...

Ingredients
1 package Rotini
1 jar Ragu Alfredo Sauce
3 skinless Chicken Breasts
1 tsp. dried Oregano
1 tsp. dried Parsley
1 tsp. dried Basil
2 Garlic cloves minced
2 Tbs. Olive Oil
1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese shredded
3 Tbs. Cream
dash of white wine (optional)
1 can mushrooms drained
salt and pepper

Directions
In a saute pan pour in the olive oil and cook the chicken thoroughly.  In a pan heat the Alfredo sauce.  Dump in the splash of white wine and heat up pretty hot for about 5 minutes.  Dump into the sauce the cheese, cream, garlic, herbs, mushrooms.  Cut up your chicken into bite size pieces, and add that to your sauce.  Season with a little salt and pepper.  Once everything is combined let your sauce simmer while you cook your pasta according to package instructions.

Once your pasta is cooked drain it, and then in a pasta bowl mix your sauce and pasta together.  Sprinkle a little bit of Parmesan over the top and serve with some crusty garlic bread.  I promise you are going to be shocked at how much this is going to taste like homemade and be delicious!  It's so easy and will save you a ton of time, and actually a little bit of money too.  If you can get the ragu sauce on sale, this dinner shouldn't cost you over $10 to feed your entire family!  I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment