Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Oven-Baked BBQ Chicken Thighs

I love BBQ chicken.  If you don't have a grill though, I have a delicious recipe for you so you can still enjoy the numminess of BBQ.  You can use a bottle of BBQ sauce, but I think making BBQ sauce is so easy and so much cheaper than buying it, that I prefer to make my own for this recipe.  I have a BBQ sauce recipe on this website, but I use a little bit of a different one for this recipe.  I love experimenting with new BBQ sauce, and this is the one that I have come up with for the oven baked BBQ chicken thighs.

Ingredients
12 Bone-in, skin on, Chicken thighs
4 T. water
3 T. Ketchup
3 T. Brown sugar
2 T. Vinegar
1 T. Lemon juice
2 T. Worcestershire
1 tsp. Sea Salt
1 tsp. Spicy Mustard
1/4 tsp. Chili powder

Directions
Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
Bring all ingredients, minus the chicken, to a slow boil in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly.
Place chicken in a baking dish that is covered with aluminum foil, shiny side up (so your chicken is on top of the shiny side).  Pour 3/4 of your BBQ sauce over chicken making sure to get everywhere.  (I normally use my hands and slather my chicken under the skin, in the all the crevices, everywhere!)  Cover chicken with aluminum foil, and bake at 500 degrees for 15 minutes.  Remove chicken and dump the remaining sauce on the chicken.  Reduce oven temp. to 300 and continue baking for 1 hour.  At the 30 min. mark stir the chicken.  
When the chicken is finished remove aluminum foil on top of the dish, stir, and let sit for 15 minutes before eating.
I serve mine with corn on the cob and watermelon.  :)  Enjoy!
p.s. If you don't want to use a homemade BBQ sauce, I recommend using Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce.  Just get the biggest bottle you can at your supermarket and dump it on top of your chicken.  :)

4 comments:

  1. Grilled recipes like charcoal grilled chicken brings out the natural smoky juicy flavor of chicken meat. This is a recipe perfectly made for the grilling enthusiast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much El Pollo Rey! This is one of my favorite recipes, and is a downright staple at my house. I think I cook this about once a week! I'm glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nummy Little Blog, I'm going to make this today!!!! I love the quick temp cooking first. I believe it will bring a crisp to the skin which a delicious part of grilling chicken outdoors. Can't wait to taste this indoor version. I like to note, especially if you live in an apartment, be sure to have a clean oven if you plan on using high temp cooking. I didn't realize I had residual grease on my oven floor from a previously oven baking and when I cooked high temp, the smoke was unpleasant! It isn't the right kind of smokey for your chicken and won't do it justice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! Someone in my Myspace group shared this website with us so I came to check it out.
    I'm definitely enjoying the information. I'm bookmarking and will
    be tweeting this to my followers! Wonderful blog and great style and design.


    Here is my blog post; bed bugs mattress covers (www.youtube.com)

    ReplyDelete