Sunday, September 11, 2011

Pork Loin Roast

I love it when I absolutely nail a dish!  My poor Dad has been so sick this week and I have been at his house every day taking care of him.  He lives about 40 minutes from me, and so every morning I have woken up, gotten my husband out the door to school, and then headed down to take care of my Dad until 10pm.  So if you are wondering why I haven't posted much that is why.  But I did have a chance to cook while I was down there, and man I did I rock this pork loin roast that they had in the fridge just waiting for me to come along and cook it!!  :)  

Just a little knowledge on pork loin, if you are not cooking in the crock pot you want to bake in a shallow baking dish and you MUST, MUST, MUST cook it with a thermometer in it.  You have to be able to tell what the temp. is at all times.  You insert it into the thickest part of the roast and when it hits 155 degrees you take that sucker out.  Then probably the most important piece of advice I can give for cooking a pork loin is once it is cooked, take it out of the pan and put it on a plate or cutting board, let it sit and rest for at the BARE minimum 6 minutes.  I normally let mine sit for 10 before I cut into it.  If you ever cook a roast or a steak you have to let it rest.  You are missing out on so much delicious flavor and moistness if you just cut right into it.  So there are my tips for cooking your pork loin, now to get to the recipe!

Ingredients
1 1 1/2-3lb. Pork Loin roast
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup chicken broth
3 garlic cloves cut in half
2 tsp. dried Rosemary
1 Tbs. Fresh Parsley (or 2 tsp. dried)
1 Tbs. Fresh Basil (or 2 tsp. dried)
Salt and Pepper
1 tsp. Seasoning Salt




Directions
Heat oven to 325 degrees.

Squish your garlic cloves into random places in your roast.

In a mix bowl mix all your ingredients together except the salt and pepper.
Cover your roast with your Olive Oil, and then rub your roast with all your ingredients except on the bottom fatty side.

Line your baking dish with aluminum foil, and dump your chick broth into the bottom of the baking dish.  Place your roast in the baking dish and insert thermometer.  Sprinkle the top with Salt and Pepper.

Place the roast in your oven.  You are going to bake it for about 20-30 minutes per pound until done.  It depends on how big your roast is.

What I do is I set my timer for 30 min. increments and go and check it when the timer goes off.  How you check it is by looking at the temp.  You want it to read 155 degrees.  You don't want to go over.  Then take it out, let it rest for 5-10 minutes and you're done!  I serve mine with some yummy mashed potatoes and chicken gravy.  Enjoy!!

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I usually don't have good luck with roasts in the oven though...=(

    Hope you dad feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love me a good pork roast! :)

    Your recipe looks divine - love the mix of garlic and herbs!!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete