Tuesday, November 29, 2011

No Corn Syrup Maple Syrup

When it comes to certain things I like to go as natural as possible.  I'm not saying that I'm a freak about it because if you look at my recipes I'm not, but there are some things that nature makes that you just don't want to mess with, and in my mind one of those things in Maple Syrup.  Here is my go to maple syrup recipe that has absolutely no corn syrup, is sweet, yet bitter, and absolutely delicious on Swedish Pancakes.

Ingredients
8 cups Sugar
1 cup PACKED light or dark Brown sugar (whichever flavor you like best)
1/2 cup pure Honey
4 cups Water
2 tsp. Pure Maple Extract
2 tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract

Directions
In a large 5-6 quart pot, combine the sugars, honey and water. Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce the heat to low so the mixture gently simmers. Cover the pot and simmer the mixture for 15 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and let it cool for 20 minutes before stirring in the maple and vanilla extracts. 

Let the syrup cool in the pot for another 40 minutes, or so, stirring occasionally, before filling jars/containers. Once the containers are filled, let them cool to room temperature uncovered. 

Store covered in jars or other containers in the refrigerator. It will keep for up to 2 months in the refrigerator. Gently reheat before serving, if desired.

This recipe yields about 10 cups, so you can adjust it as necessary.  I make it for Christmas gifts in pretty glass bottles.

2 comments: