Friday, May 20, 2011

Twice BAKED Fries with Fry Sauce

I know the traditional "frite" or "fry" is fried.  I must admit that I have never been the biggest fan of french fries, and I really don't like fried food, but I love Hamburgers and you have to have a fry with hamburgers.  So, I came up with a french fry recipe that you bake.  Not only do you bake them once, but just like the true "frite" you bake them twice to get that extra crispiness to them.  I promise you, once you try these fries you will never want any other fries again!
Ingredients:
6 Idaho Potatoes
Extra Virgin Olive Oil for Drizzling
Sea Salt and Pepper for dressing


Directions:
Heat oven to 375 degrees.
  
Peel the potatoes lengthwise, leaving a patch of the skin on each end of the potatoes. Cut each potato into very thin fries lengthwise, no more than a quarter-inch thick – the thinner they are, the crispier the end product will be.

In a bowl dress the fries with olive oil and salt and pepper.  Toss lightly.

On a baking sheet place your wire cooling rack so there is some vent below the fries.

Dump your fries on top of the cooling rack and place in the oven for 30 minutes.


After 30 minutes, take your fries out and turn the oven to 425 degrees.  Make sure that the oven acknowledges that it has hit 425 degrees and then put the fries back in for 15-20min. until they are crispy and lightly browned.

I sometimes will take them out when they are done and put them back in the bowl and dress them with garlic and chives, but you don't have too.  I have also just eaten them with some good 'ol fry sauce. (For those of you out of Utah I will post my fry sauce recipe and you can start eating a "Utah Staple".  :)  Enjoy!

Utah's Fry Sauce Recipe

Ingredients:
1 part Ketchup
2 Parts Mayonaise
a Dash of Mustard

Directions:
Mix together and enjoy with your fries!

No comments:

Post a Comment