Tuesday, June 14, 2011

BBQ Sauces

 I love making BBQ sauces.  Ever since I started cooking a lot I have really tried to make my own BBQ sauce, spaghetti sauce, sloppy joe sauce, and any other sauces that I know can be made.  It saves money, and they taste so much better!  So in ode to summer I thought I would post some of my favorite recipes that I have come up with over the years.


The Original BBQ Sauce
1/2 C. minced onions
4 cloves garlic minced
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 Tbs. salt
2 C. Ketchup
1/4 C. tomato paste
1/3 C. cider vinegar
1/4 C. Worcestershire
2/3 C. packed brown sugar
1 Tbs. Butter

In a large skillet cook the onion and garlic with 1 Tbs. Butter until translucent.  Set aside.

In a large saucepan combine all ingredients and whisk until smooth.  Once the sauce is thick add the onions and garlic.  Simmer for 15 minutes.  Enjoy!

The Basics
I want you to know that all of you can make BBQ sauce with a few main ingredients.  The main things you have to have in every BBQ sauce is Brown Sugar, Vinegar, Garlic, Ketchup, Tomato Paste, and Salt and Pepper.  With those main ingredients you can basically make any recipe you want.  If you get that base you can create just about any flavor you want.  If you come up with a recipe you love, make sure to post it on my page so we can share!  Here are a few more BBQ recipes.

BBQ Sauce for Ribs
 2 cups ketchup
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup minced onion
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons water
3 cloves garlic crushed
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
1 teaspoon dry mustard
fresh ground pepper to taste 

Blend onion and water into a puree. Heat a medium sauce pan over a medium heat. Add olive oil. When oil is warm, pour in onion puree. Simmer until slightly browned. Add remaining ingredients. Mix thoroughly and simmer for about 20 minutes.

Mustard BBQ Sauce (my personal favorite)
1 cup prepared yellow mustard
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon cayenne

Mix all ingredients together and simmer over a low heat for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment