Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Crock Pot Honey and Apple Bread Pudding

I don't know about many of you, but I'm a bread pudding fanatic!  I absolutely love the stuff!  I have many recipes for it, but this one sounded so interesting to me.  It's not my own, I found it in a cook book.  Once I tried it though I was in love, and I had to share it with all of you!  It's from "Not your Mother's Crock Pot recipes".
 The other part of this recipe (The Rum Sauce) is all mine though.  I wanted something a little delicious and sinful to go on top of my already sinful dessert and thus came the rum sauce.  It's to die for, and I recommend using it every time you make a bread pudding recipe.  Once you try it, you'll never go back to eating bread pudding alone.  Okay, here are the recipes!

Honey and Apple Bread Pudding
Ingredients
8 slices of thick day old Bread
1/4 cup Cream
1 stick of Butter
3 cooking Apples (I use granny smith to cook with)
3/4 cup golden Raisins
1 cup Apple juice
1/4-1/2 cup Honey (depends on your personal taste)
2 Tbs. fresh Lemon juice
1 Tbs. grated Lemon zest
1 tsp. ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Nutmeg

Directions
Coat your slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.

Preheat your broiler.  On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, cut your bread into slices (if it isn't already) and butter.  Place under the broiler until they are toasted to your liking.  (I like mine just a barely golden brown).  Remove from broiler, let cool and break bread into pieces.

Cut your apples into chunks.  (You can peel them or leave them with the skin on)

Put the bread in the Crock Pot and add the raisins and apples.

In a small bowl whisk the lemon juice, apple juice, honey, zest, spices, and butter.  Pour over the bread evenly and make sure it is all well coated.  Turn your crock pot onto low and let cook for 5-6 hours or until your apples are soft enough for you.

Turn off crock pot when finished cooking and let stand for 15 minutes.  Serve with either whipped cream, ice cream, or my rum sauce which I will tell you how to make below.

Rum Sauce
Ingredients
1 1/2 cups Butter
1/4 cup dark Rum
3 cups Powdered Sugar
1 egg Yolk

Directions
Melt butter in a sauce pan over medium heat.  Add the rum.  Slowly whisk in the powdered sugar.  Temper the egg yolk and then slowly pour into the pan while whisking.  Bring the temp. up to 160 degrees, and you're done.  Spoon over finished bread pudding!!

2 comments:

  1. You have cream in the ingredients list, but don't mention adding it to the recipe. Does this really call for cream?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marisa, I have cream listed in the ingredients you just must've missed it. It calls for 1/4C. cream

    ReplyDelete