Thursday, October 27, 2011

Cheddar Broccoli Soup

It is definitely a soup day in Utah.  Waking up this morning at 7, it is 23 degrees outside, and that is just waaaaaaay tooooooo cold.  So it's a soup day.  I need to warm myself up and get cozy next to my fire.  I feel like a rich cream soup, and so I'm giving you all my Cheddar Broccoli Soup that I think you are going to love.  I serve it in a bread bowl which just tops off the deliciousness of this dish!

 Ingredients
2 Tbs. Melted Butter
1 Large Onion Chopped
1/2 cup Butter melted
1/2 cup Flour
4 cups Half and Half
2 cups Chicken Broth
2 cups Chicken Stock
1 lb. Fresh Broccoli
2 cups Carrots diced
Salt and Pepper to taste
16 oz. SHARP Cheddar cheese grated
Dried Parsley, Oregano, and Basil sprinkled in to taste

Directions
Saute onion in butter.  Set aside.   

Whisk butter and flour over medium heat for 3-5 minutes.  Stir constantly and slowly add half and half.  Add chicken stock, still whisking.
Simmer 20 minutes.

Add broccoli, carrots and onion.  Cook over low heat until veggies are tender – about 20-25 minutes.  Add salt and pepper, and the herbs.  The soup will have thickened by now.

Carefully transfer soup mixture to blender and puree, but let it sit and cool for a minute before you try to blend it.

Return soup to pot (or crockpot) over low heat.  Add cheese.  Stir until well blended.  Serve in a bread bowl with Sharp Cheddar cheese sprinkled on top.

Makes 8-10 servings.

1 comment:

  1. I had already planned to have this for dinner tonight! I'm pretty sure this is close to the same recipe too! yum!

    ReplyDelete