Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Peanut Butter and Honey Granola Bars

I'm so sorry to all my followers!!  I haven't posted for awhile because I was out of town on a speaking engagement down in Las Vegas.  Then I came home and got sick.  No fun, but I'm back and I have an amazingly delicious treat that I just learned how to make.

I really love anything with honey, and when I use honey I always use Cox honey.  I really like local, fresh, and raw honey, but you can use whatever you would like.  

These bars are delicious, nutritious, and very filling.  I like to pack them in my husbands lunch for school.  It helps him stay full throughout his long days at school.  Anything I can do to keep his brain working is a good thing, so try it for your kids as they head out the door to school.  It's the perfect snack in between breakfast and lunch or lunch and dinner.  Here's the recipe...

With Chocolate Chips
 Ingredients
1 egg white
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter (you can use raw, but I use Jif)
1/4 tsp. Cinnamon (optional, but I feel like it gives this treat a really yummy fall taste)
3 cups Old Fashioned Oats (don't use instant or steel cut)
1 stick melted REAL butter (you know me, and everything is made with real butter.  If you need a substitute though you can use your favorite kind of oil)
1/2 cup golden raisins (you can also use dried cranberries instead which is a good little addition if you're not a fan of raisins, but I love the golden.  If you want a sweeter version you can also add chocolate chips here too.  I'll add a picture of both kinds on this post)


Directions
Line a 9x13 baking pan with parchment paper, so that the parchment paper extends over the edges of the pan. Set rack in the oven to the middle position. Preheat oven to 350°F.

With a mixer, beat the egg white until frothy. Beat in the honey. Beat in the peanut butter. Add the oats. Sprinkle on the cinnamon. Pour the melted butter over everything and stir until well combined. Stir in the raisins.
With Golden Raisins

Spread the mixture over the bottom of the parchment paper-lined baking dish in an even layer.


Place in oven and bake for 25 minutes, until nicely browned on top. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Remove the baked granola from the pan by lifting the edges of the parchment, and place on a cutting board. Use a long sharp knife to cut into 12 to 16 bars.

Let cool completely before eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment